BRANTFORD, ON – Employees at OLG Casino Brantford have hit the jackpot when it comes to keeping garbage out of area landfills.
A recently completed waste audit conducted by Spinnaker Recycling Corp. for OLG Casino Brantford’s facilities department reveals the casino has exceeded the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change goal by diverting 82 per cent of the waste generated at the gaming site from landfills. More than 123,000 kilograms of waste including plastic, paper and corrugated cardboard was diverted. As a comparison, a waste audit completed in 2015, found only 19 per cent of the waste generated at the casino was reused or recycled.
“I am so proud of the entire team at the casino,” said Eddy Day, General Manager of OLG Casino Brantford. “To keep 82 per cent of the waste generated by our 24/7 operation out of the area landfills is not an easy feat but it was done due to the dedication of all employees. We will continue working on reducing our waste footprint even further.”
The results are due to a number of programs supported by OLG’s ‘Bet On Green’ initiatives:
- The recycling program allows the site to divert plastic, paper and corrugated cardboard
- Participation in Terracycle brigades enabled the site to divert cigarette waste, nitrile, latex gloves and writing instruments
- An annual electronic waste drive helps divert e-waste products including television sets, computers and old appliances
- Proper disposal of light bulbs
- The ‘Return” program allows OLG Casino Brantford to recycle beverage bottles and wood skids
- The site recycles 100 per cent of the generated kitchen grease
- The ‘Organic Waste Diversion’ program segregates organic waste at source, including food waste and paper towels, and the waste is used as compost feed stock
- Participation in the ‘Waste to Energy’ program enables the site to use sanitary waste to generate energy
- The site installed energy efficient hand dryers in washrooms in 2016 which has already reduced the amount of paper towels used and waste generated by more than 5,300 kilograms
In February 2016, OLG Casino Brantford received Silver Certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) from the Canada Green Building Council.
About OLG’s Bet on Green Program
OLG promotes environmental awareness to employees through the ‘Bet On Green’ program, designed to lessen the environmental impact of OLG’s operations, increase green awareness among customers and employees, and become a global leader in energy-efficient gaming.
OLG is the Ontario government agency that delivers gaming entertainment in a socially responsible manner. OLG conducts and manages gaming facilities, the sale of province-wide lottery games, PlayOLG Internet gaming, the delivery of bingo and other electronic gaming products at Charitable Gaming Centres and is helping to build a more sustainable horse racing industry in Ontario. Since 1975, OLG has provided nearly $44 billion to the Province and the people of Ontario. These payments to the province support the operation of hospitals, amateur sport through the Quest for Gold program, local and provincial charities and problem gambling prevention, treatment and research.
All for Here – 100 per cent of OLG’s proceeds are invested in Ontario
Follow on Twitter @OLGtoday
“Know your limit. Play within it.”
Follow on Twitter @PlaySmartOLG
THE ONTARIO PROBLEM GAMBLING HELPLINE 1-888-230-3505
Disponible en français
OLG MEDIA RELATIONS