PROLINE+ SURVEY FACT SHEET
- Ontario’s only legal online sportsbook PROLINE+ launched on August 27, allowing players to make a legal bet on a single event for the first time ever in Ontario, among many other sports betting options.
- To further understand the player mindset, PROLINE+ surveyed 1,000 Ontario-based sports bettors about their views on online betting, the advancement of legal single event betting in Canada and their thoughts and opinions on betting on sports in general.
- The survey revealed that 62%, almost two-thirds, of Ontario sports bettors say they’re now more likely to make a single-event sports bet because of its recent legalization in Canada.
- This is ringing true for PROLINE+, as single event bets account for 77% of all wagers to date on the online sportsbook.
- They care about giving back too – more than half of those surveyed say they’re more likely to use PROLINE+ to bet on sports knowing that 100% of the proceeds are invested in provincial priorities that improve the quality of life for all Ontarians.
- OLG has already processed more than $6 million in bets on PROLINE+ – signalling that Ontario bettors have been eagerly awaiting a trustworthy option to lay down their bets.
- The survey found that over half of respondents say betting on a game adds fun to the live sports experience, especially during the COVID-19.
- In fact, 24% of those surveyed said they will attend more sports games in the next 12 months than before the pandemic, and 27% of those surveyed said betting on their favourite team during COVID-19 helped off-set the fact that they couldn’t go to games.
- In total, just under half of Ontario’s sports bettors place a bet at least once a month, with almost one in four wagering at least once a week.
- The survey confirmed a growing number of women are getting into the game – women make up about 1/3 of sports bettors in the province.
- While the majority of bets are made on men’s professional sports, PROLINE+ features plenty of options to bet on women in sport which supports the growing interest in this betting segment.
Other key findings include:
- Bad experiences placing bets: One in three frequent sports bettors (defined as those who bet once a week or more) in Ontario say they have had a bad experience using an online app or website to bet in the past.
- Ontario sports bettors are excited to bet safely: 51% of frequent bettors said they feel good about PROLINE+, which promotes responsible gambling and includes player tools and educational materials from OLG’s award-winning PlaySmart program.
- Conversation fodder: 66% of frequent bettors say that betting on sports gives them something to talk about with their friends.
- Great source of entertainment: More than half of sports bettors in Ontario say betting is a great source of entertainment and can make watching games more fun.
- A “novel” idea: 37% of bettors and 44% of frequent bettors are interested in Novelty betting on award shows and other pop-culture events.
OLG is a crown agency that develops world-class gaming entertainment for the Province of Ontario. Acting in a socially responsible way, OLG conducts and manages land-based gaming facilities; the sale of province-wide lottery games; Internet gaming; and the delivery of bingo and other electronic gaming products at Charitable Gaming Centres. OLG is also helping to build a more sustainable horse racing industry in Ontario. Since 1975, OLG has provided approximately $55 billion to the people and Province of Ontario to support key government priorities like health care; the treatment and prevention of problem gambling; and support for amateur athletes. Each year proceeds from OLG’s operations also support host communities, Ontario First Nations, lottery retailers and local charities across the province.
All for Here – 100 per cent of OLG’s proceeds are invested in Ontario
Follow on Twitter @OLGtoday
Knowledge you can bet on.
Follow on Twitter @PlaySmartOLG
ConnexOntario – Problem Gambling Support: 1-866-531-2600
Disponible en français
OLG MEDIA RELATIONS